Driving Sustainability and Equitable Economic Growth to Support Our Customers
Helping Customers Achieve Their Net Zero Goals
CenterPoint Energy’s goal is to be a company that is easy to do business with, provides comprehensive energy solutions for customers, drives internal business efficiencies, and captures growth opportunities across residential, commercial and industrial classes.
Partnerships are essential to our collective success, and customers are at the heart of our commitment.
We work closely with stakeholders across our service territories in support of our communities’ climate action goals to increase our consumers’ choices of alternative transportation fuels, expand electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure, and add access to public and alternative transportation to reduces emissions from private transportation modes like cars and trucks.
- CenterPoint Energy is a proud sponsor of the Houston Climate Action Plan, a science-based, community-driven strategy for the City of Houston to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, meet the Paris Agreement goal of carbon neutrality by 2050 and lead a global energy transition.
- We helped fund the Houston Advanced Research Center, a research hub providing independent analysis on energy, air and water issues to people seeking scientific answers, as well as C40 Cities, a climate leadership group.
- We are collaborating with the City of Evansville, Ind., on the creation and implementation of its Climate Action Plan. By 2050, Evansville plans to be a regional leader in equitably addressing climate change and a zero-waste community powered by renewable energy. The plan’s actions will reduce GHG emissions, strengthen economic development, improve air quality and reduce waste.
- In 2019, CenterPoint Energy co-founded EVolve Houston, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving air quality and reducing GHG emissions through electrified transportation in support of the Houston Climate Action Plan’s goal to become carbon neutral by 2050.
- CenterPoint Energy also co-founded Greentown Labs Houston, a new energy technology incubator to support economic development and secure Houston’s position as a global center for energy innovation, entrepreneurship and collaboration.
Resilient Now Partnership with the City of Houston and METRO
CenterPoint Energy and the City of Houston are aligned on plans to develop cleaner, more affordable and reliable energy infrastructure.
The City of Houston’s Resilient Now framework is a roadmap of established goals, including grid resiliency and modernization, economic development, complete communities and an EV infrastructure plan. CenterPoint Energy is developing the City’s first Energy Master Plan and a coordinated infrastructure plan focused on resiliency across all Houston communities. For example, the City and CenterPoint Energy are developing solutions to enhance weatherization through energy-efficiency programs for many vulnerable communities, including mobile backup generation that can be installed across Houston and deployed in case of a prolonged outage.
In support of METRO’s 2030 Net Zero goal for bus procurement, CenterPoint Energy is developing a targeted 10-year infrastructure master plan focused on growth in demand and ensuring resiliency.
Many of CenterPoint Energy’s Houston customers rely on METRO, one of the largest public transportation systems in the country, that has served the Greater Houston Area since 1978. The City of Houston is planning to electrify part of its METRO bus fleet with CenterPoint Energy leading infrastructure readiness for the initiative. The infrastructure plan will provide targeted investments to ensure resiliency in anticipation of the additional load on the system due to METRO’s projected fleet growth from 1,250 to 1,500 electrified buses. METRO’s bus electrification program will begin with 20 buses.
City of Houston Energy Master Plan Focus Areas:
- Investment grade audits for end-to-end solutions
- Energy-efficiency program offerings
- System optimization
- EV infrastructure growth modeling
- Mechanical and fleet management workforce development
- Microgrid applications
- Sustainability planning